Call for Manuscripts: May 15, 2019 to July 30, 2019
The winning volume will be published in December 2019 by Emrys Press.
The Emrys Press Chapbook Prize honors a book of original poetry in English by a single author; translations are not eligible. The winning volume will be published in December 2019, by Emrys Press.
The winning poet receives a $1000 honorarium upon publication, plus 20 copies of the book. In addition, he/she will be invited as guest for one week at the Rensing Center, a gorgeous arts/writing retreat near Greenville SC, in the Appalachian foothills. Dates of use of Poet Guest House to be arranged*. The winning book and author will be featured on the Emrys website. And announced in Poets and Writers.
- Final judge for the 2019 competition is Joseph Millar.
- Entries must be filed between 12:01 a.m. May 15 and midnight Jul 30, 2019. Only online submissions are accepted. All entries should be made via Submittable.
- Manuscripts should be 24 to 28 pages in length, single side, submitted in PDF, RTF, or MSWord formats only. Title and contents pages DO NOT count towards page length.
- The author’s name must not appear in the manuscript. Do NOT put your name on the entry. The title page should contain the title only. Author contact information is to be collected separately via Submittable.
- Include a contents page. Do not include your name, acknowledgments, author bio, or any other identifying information in the manuscript file. Manuscripts will be read anonymously.
- Work must not have been previously published as part of a book or as a self-published chapbook. Individually published poems are acceptable. Simultaneous submissions acceptable with notification.
- The entry fee of $25.00 is payable through Submittable (our submission manager system).
- The winner will be announced by November 30, 2019.
*Note: Transportation to/from the Rensing Center not included.
Eligibility: Poets writing in English are eligible. Previous book publication is not a consideration. Students, former students, and close friends of Heather McHugh may not enter.